Out with the old in with the new. I don’t know about you, but I have no room in my life for useless furniture. I like everything in our small space to have a reason, otherwise I need it gone.
Well, I might have two children in diapers, but this changing table was rarely used for anything except junk collecting. I keep my diapers organized in a bin in the living room, and use a catch and release method while changing the diapers of my very active boys.
I was all ready to consign our changing table when I realized a great need that our family had, a desk.
I started by removing half the rail on the front side, this gives me a flat working surface.
I then added a shelf, using the remaining front rail and the back rail as the “studs”. I had an extra shelf from our entertainment center that fit perfectly, so I used that, but a piece of plywood would work. When securing the shelf, make sure to use a pilot drill before screwing it on. Otherwise the rails might split. I then sanded down any rough edges.
Next steps were to paint and seal. (In hindsight I would have primed before painting.)
The accent colors were on such small surfaces that I was able to just buy 2 oz samples. They were only $2. For the sealer I use Polycrylic. Because it is water based, brush clean up was a breeze. This blog was a great resource for sealing.